Monday, July 28, 2008

The Faith Debockle


At our young marrieds bible study group this last Sunday we were discussing 1 John and ideas such as, how do we know the voice we hear is God, and ways we can ensure that we are hearing the voice of god clearly. Topics like these are really hard for me because no matter where the discussion takes us we always land on "Well, you just need to have faith."


Faith... Now there's a fun topic for all partied involved. What does it mean to be a person of faith? Can we ever achieve a level of faith to where we no longer doubt? Those are the questions that invade my mind when I hear the word faith(Well those questions, as well as that awesome song by George Michael... But in any case).


I guess I really struggle with this idea of faith. I have asked people before what they view as faith and of course I get the, "believing in something you can't see." answer almost every time. I'm ready for a new answer to this question. That very answer makes me even more confused about the topic of faith. I feel that in many ways we have lost what faith is. We regurgitate a definition that's been on hundreds of advertisements, in millions of youth group teachings, and sermons. But what is faith and how many of these church voices actually have this faith that they preach about?


I know for me that I lack in the faith department. Maybe it's because of the environment that I was raised in. Maybe society and the culture in this country has handicapped my ability to be a "Faith Filled Man". Who knows what the reason is. All i know is that this idea of faith is, and has been on my mind for quite some time now..

No comments: